Monday, February 25, 2013

Long Arm Ruler Work

I have been accumulating several rulers for long arm ruler work. I had the notion of doing a complete quilt with just straight lines. So .... Here are some thoughts on that!

I need my head examined - lol!!




Here was what I got accomplished on this Christmas Santa Quilt Kit from a LQS that included a panel. I am not generally a fan of panels but this one was cute and afforded me lots of squares that I could practice my straight line ruler work on. The Pinwheels and the square inside a square surrounding the panel were the easiest to decide what I should do on them. They "spoke to me" as just simple outlines - because I wanted to be simple if I needed to undo anythink that got done!!. The squares were 6" finished so not too large and would fare well with not a lot of quilting in my opinion.






The panel was a bit more tricky. As there some printed squares and several Santa blocks, I followed the idea to do a simple outline in those printed blocks following the pattern in the six inch blocks. Again going fro  simplicity and practice!




The Santa Blocks got a simple outline first. Then I filled in the navy background with small to medium stippling. The Santa needed something as well, so I did some free motion quilting on each Santa following clothing lines, beards,skates and the like!


I was pleased with the outcome and here it is - complete!